Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 5: Weekly Update & Final Reflection

  1. I will take my dogs to Hartley Nature Center for a 30-40 minute walk/run, 3 times during the week days.  This week was a little more tricky.  I was able to get out there every day, but not for the entire 30 minutes.
  2. With the semester winding down and work schedules keeping me running around town every single day, I would pack the two puppies in my car, bring them along for errands and work so I was able to stop at one of the parks on the way home.
  3. I did feel rushed at times.  And the cold weather is darn freezing now!  The puppies still love every minute of freedom, but we know its time to stop when their poor little toes start bleeding from breaking through the crispy, icy snow.
  4. Organization, minute by minute planning.  We all have 24 hours in a day...spend it wisely and prioritize.
  5. We will definitely continue these fun outdoor adventures for the upcoming weeks.  Hopefully we'll be able to visit the new parks more often.
OVERALL REFLECTION
  1. I will take my dogs to Hartley Nature Center for a 30-40 minute walk/run, 3 times during the week days.  My goal did change somewhat throughout the weeks, rather than just going to Hartley, we were able to explore some other parks around Duluth.
  2. It helped to keep a schedule- go the same time on the same days each week and stick to it.  Yes, things happen and schedules change, but it wasn't too much to fit it in at another time.
  3. The benefits: it made get outdoors in the cold weather!  We were able to find new parks that I normally would not go to.
  4. I guess just by telling the story of the two dogs and talking about the new place we went today and the funny things that they would do brought awareness to others of what out there and available to us in Duluth.  Hopefully people will take the time to visit the parks themselves.  This might be an outreach, but again after hearing Abby & Ranger's story, people will be encouraged to check out the local shelter when & if they're looking for a new pet.
  5. Of course we're going to continue this behavior.  It also kind of goes along with the bill that I looked up:  Adults needing to participate in 30-40minutes of daily moderate activity.  I need to continue to promote what I believe in.
  6. Baby steps, you can always modify later, but you need to stick to it!

6 comments:

  1. I congratulate you on meeting this goal (for the most part). It's been so cold out lately, and I know that I would find it very difficult to get myself to go outside and walk my dogs. Seems like you are very determined to stay strong with your goal, and find ways to motivate yourself (new parks). Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed you were able to keep up with this goal even now with the freezing weather! I try to keep indoors as much as possible when its so cold, so its good that you were out enjoying the environment! I'm sure your puppies are very appreciative of all the attention and it also gives you a chance to get in some physical activity. Hopefully you continue with this and discover even more places to go, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your goal and congrats on meeting it even though it is soo cold out! I've been having a hard time motivating myself to go back to school to workout because of the cold weather and my car being so cold, so way to go! Hopefully this is something you can keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that you are able to have dogs up here! I think I would spend a lot more time outside if I had one, but it has been so cold! I'm glad that you were able to keep up with your goal while it was almost unbearable out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for finding new parks to walk/run in! I love your goal involved your pups! It is so important to get exercise everyday and what better way to achieve that than with your adorable dogs Abby and Ranger. Keep it up because I'm sure those two just love it, and love spending time with you of course =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, I didn't know your goal had to do with running! I can't imagine running outside right now, that's got to take a lot of ambition. And the fact you use your dogs poses as another good incentive, they get exercise too :) Good job overall and great that you decided to continue!

    ReplyDelete