Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities


  • Ashley: Calculate Your Auto Emissions
    • This activity was to inform us, as consumers, how much our own vehicles are emitting into the air.   The website provided was easy to follow and was simple to put in our car's information so it could calculate the results.
    • 1999 Lexus RX 300 4WD
      3L, 6 cyl., Automatic (4 speed), 4WD or AWD

      Total City Miles: 8,400
      Total Highway Miles: 5,600
      City MPG: 19 MPG
      Highway MPG: 22 MPG
      Gallons of Fuel (City): 442.11 gallons
      Gallons of Fuel (Highway): 254.55 gallons
      Gallons of Fuel (Total): 696.66 gallons

    • NETZERO Calculations
      Total Pounds CO2: 13445.54 lbsTotal CO2 MT Emission: 6.1 MTTOTAL CO2 Credit Cost: $48.80

  • Elly: Gas Guzzling Cars
    • This was similar to the above activity.  The information of your personal vehicle was calculated and distributed to determine the total amount of CO2 emitted each year.
    • Your vehicle produces 0.92 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions per year.

  • Kara: Energy Dustbin
    • For this activity my score was 52
    • The resources to read up on were very helpful and informational.  It was a fun game tossing things back and forth into the garbage bin!

  • Lauren: Work Out Plan
    • This was a fun quiz.  It provided pretty general questions about how you feel you are fit.  I really like the routine she provided in her blog to incorporate in our daily routines.
    • You are 50%* fit!
      Your about the average thin but not toothpick-like. Your about chubby but not fat. Your fine. Just work out a little and youll be in good shape.

  • Katie: Obesity & Your Everyday Life
    • BMI: 20...which falls under the normal weight group
    • Currently I am meeting my daily calorie intake.  However, not so much with the each of the food groups.  Always being on the go it's difficult to consume the adequate amount of fresh vegetables. I don't eat junk & when I need to buy my food I make sure that's it's a healthier choice, with fresh veggies, and definitely not fast food.
    • I found out I am consistently burning activities.  It's convenient because of teaching fitness and dance classes, I'm always "forced" into working out and staying active.  Not complaining though!

  • Danielle: Waste to Energy Crossword Puzzle
    • This was trickier than I thought!  There were definitely a few terms that I did not know.  It was easier, maybe being from duluth helped, to know some of the facilities around the community.  The resources provided were definitely needed to complete the crossword.

6 comments:

  1. I also thought the crossword was a little tricky, it definitely tested my patience. I also found myself a little below the my weight group when I calculated my BMI. I don't think this is a very good scale to use because some people are shorter or taller than the average person and this can totally throw off the scale.

    Your CO2 emissions were much lower than mine, congrats on having a more Eco-friendly vehicle! lol Overall it seems as though you learned a lot from these activities. Its good to have a fun interactive way to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did much better than I did on Elly's activity. Mine was well over 1 tonn a year. I think these activites made me very aware as well! Hopefully the crossword wasn't too difficult for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on completing all of these activities! It was fun to see everyone's creative ideas on their online learning assignments. Good work Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on being 50% fit for my quiz, I only got 40%. I can't believe they said "You are a bit chubby", how inaccurate. You did well with the CO2 emissions, under 1 tonne per year is better than most of us did it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just going to say that I couldn't believe that Lauren's quiz called you "a bit chubby"! I know Lauren said it already, but I will say it again. SO inaccurate. I find it funny that one quiz says you are only 50% fit, yet you fall below average for a BMI. It makes me wonder how accurate these tests are. I'm glad you were able to accomplish all of the activities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had difficulty in getting all of the answers to the crossword as well, though it was fun to try and see how much I knew for it being the first time learning about the topic.

    Some of these quizzes were, however, a little inaccurate I believe. There are so many different factors that can affect the outcome results that It's hard to believe. It was still fun though, so try out the different activities

    ReplyDelete