Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 combined with Reflection: Overall Course





These past weeks have flown by and this class has continued keeping us busy.  We were still able to cover a wide range of topics and continued expanding our knowledge of our surrounding environment.


Our final weeks started off with a tour of the Goodwill organization here in Duluth.  It was very intriguing to go behind the scenes and see how things are played out.  Goodwill provides a beginning for those who are unable to complete daily tasks as we do with ease.  They offer them a career in hopes that they will move forward and be able to find successful jobs elsewhere.  It was good to see a larger organization like this to have the patience and heart to work for others.


Our Goodwill tour didn't end just there...we met with our new blogs groups and were set up with a challenge.  We had to find an outfit, wedding gift, and something we could not live without for a destination wedding that we were attending.  Our destination- Hawaii!  Outfit, a lovely Hawaiian shirt along with some puka shells.  Gift, a unforgettable wine and candle basket.  Thing we couldn't live without- sunscreen!  It was fun to see what we could get for bang for a buck.


We also finished our final eco-chic lifestyle change.  I'm glad I got to hear about the changes the other members of our class accomplished.  Throughout, everyone seemed to be very successful.  We finished with one last final online assignment.  Everyone was to create an activity for other blog followers to complete.  It was a fun finishing touch and a good reflection of what we know.


Our big finale was at class time- milk and cookies- and show & tell!  Similar to what we had to put together, we all created junk projects that we created on our own time.  I'm still shocked at what we can find for so little- I really should start doing this more often.  Everyone had some amazing ideas and I may even have to steal some of those ideas for future gifts!


Overall, I don't think this course could have been any more jam packed with so much to do and so much to remember...and I don't think I have ever learned so much from any of my other classes.  With all these things to cover, we took the time to have each in the spotlight, focusing on a specific topic each week.  For only meeting one day a week, I was impressed how much our knowledge (through assignments & other activities) was expanded!  This course definitely left an imprint in my memory and the lessons learned will not be forgotten.

5 comments:

  1. Your junking project was so cute! I love that you are going to give it as a Christmas present. I know that she will love it :) I was also impressed about how much we learned from only meeting once a week! I am glad you are walking away from this course with a memory of all the great lessons we have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked your junking project!! I didn't know that Saver's would have stuff like that. Next time I'm there I'll have to take a peek! I also learned a lot in this class. I think it was extremely beneficial to all of us, and we have all changed our lifestyles in one way or another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started getting some new creative ideas from our junking show-and-tell as well. It's amazing what you can find by just opening your eyes a little wider. I feel like these projects were also much more meaningful because we kind of explained the process through which we went in making it!! I'm going to give mine to my mom for Christmas, and i feel it is more personable than if I were to buy a gift

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your junking project too! I am completely NOT creative or crafty at all. I don't think I could ever create something like that. I would say this class is up there in my top 5 with most learned and the most I can actually RETAIN and take back home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gifting idea! It didn't cost you much and turned out so cute! I think we've all learned a lot of valuable information this semester that will help us in the future to make better educated decisions when being more environmentally friendly. I know I won't ever buy another bottled water!

    ReplyDelete